aa8-kl.jpg
 
Start - Windhundsport
Monumente Drucken E-Mail
Freitag, den 01. Mai 2009 um 10:37 Uhr
O'Connell Monument
Next to O'Connell Bridge, Dublin.
Dublin Wolfhound Art


Now, to Dublin, where most of the best Wolfhound artefacts in Ireland are to be found.
In nice Spring sunshine, myself, Marion and son,
Max, set off armed with camera to check out the main Wolfhound must-see items.
For anyone wishing to follow the route, it takes less than a day. Firstly then,
to O’Connell Street, to view the Wolfhound on the O’Connell Monument.


The O’Connell Monument 1862
It was built to commemorate the "Liberator" Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847) after whom the street
was renamed after Irish independence. Started in 1862, it took 20 years to complete.
It was designed by John Henry Foley (1818-1874) the leading sculptor of the day.
He died before it was completed and his assistant finished the work.
The monument is in three parts, surmounted by the figure of O'Connell.
The base is heavy limestone with four winged figures representing Patriotism, Fidelity,
Courage and Eloquence. I couldn’t identify which figure is talking to the Wolfhound.
All four seem equally appropriate

It’s a short drive west up the Liffey River to Collins Barracks, the imposing and vast building
enclosing a parade ground quadrangle, which now has been given over to
the National Museum of Ireland. We remembered various Wolfhound
items there from a previous visit some years ago.
Luckily, they were still on display, part of a permanent exhibition.

Sculpture on Top of Building, Dame Street, Dublin
Stand with your back to Trinity front gate and look high up to top of building on left

National Bank Emblem
We had started out at 11 o’clock, and it is now time for a late lunch in the Avoca Café
in Wicklow Street (Try their fish pie!). Then, a short walk through to College Green
(in front of Trinity College). Here is the Habitat premises,
originally, the National Bank of Ireland, which was founded by Daniel O’Connell.
The emblem of the bank is represented on the roof line, which bears the
inscription "Eireann go Brath" and features the usual round tower, wolfhound and
Irish harp beside Hibernia. The work is by the partnership, Pearse and Sharpe
(James Pearse was the father of the revolutionary, Padraig).

Sculpture on Top of G.P.O. in O'Connell Street, Dublin.
Mt Jerome, Dublin. Monument to Irish Wolfhound
"Kilfane" 1911
Pets Cemetery, Powerscourt House, Co Wicklow.
Interesting to note that The Irish Guards Mascots website record that their
second mascot (1910-1917) "Leitrim Boy" was presented by Lord Powerscourt.
The first, "Rajah of Kidnal" renamed "Brian Boru" (1902-1910,) known as Paddy,
was presented by The Irish Kennel Club.
Memorial Cross, The Square, Monasterevan, Co Kildare
Mt. Jerome Cemetery - Irish Wolfhound story
Irish Wolfhounds Bronze Kildare Retail Village 2007
An Irish wolfhound is memorialized on the Irish Brigade monument at Gettysburg.
 

Ihre Sprache

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

Wer ist online

Wir haben 14 Gäste online

Statistiken

mod_vvisit_counterHeute31
mod_vvisit_counterGestern104
mod_vvisit_counterDiese Woche31
mod_vvisit_counterLetzte Woche956
mod_vvisit_counterDiesen Monat2508
mod_vvisit_counterLetzten Monat4264
mod_vvisit_counterGesamt879125

Webseite durchsuche

Werbung

Empfohlene Links:
fotowebbox.de
Hundefotografie, Web- und Mediendesign
eRPaki Hundezubehör
Hundezubehör von A-Z!